Friday, October 21, 2011

missing my dad

my dad passed away a little over four years ago.  it’s a strange feeling – some days it seems like he’s been gone far longer, other days the memories of him are so clear that it feels like i was just talking to him yesterday.
i inherited my dad’s singing voice.  unfortunately he didn’t have one – which is what was passed down to me!  when i was little, i remember sitting next to my dad in church and giggling while he loudly sang the worship songs next to me.  he was either singing the completely wrong words, or his tone was far off -  neither of which ever hindered him from singing loudly and tapping his feet to the music.  he would smile down at me when he really messed up a line – but then continued on.  so I guess it’s fitting that my memories of my dad always come rushing to me in church.  listening to my own voice, knowing that i’m not even close to hitting the right notes, instead of being embarrassed it makes me smile and reminds me of my dad.  something which started off so silly, has now become a simple way that i remember him in everyday life.  funny that the things that used to embarrass me about my dad, have now become what i miss most.  from him dancing and whistling around the kitchen in his bathrobe every weekend morning – to him loudly and very enthusiastically greeting my friends whenever they came to our house. 

so many memories of which i am so thankful for!  a good reminder to savor our time with our loved ones – don’t let life’s busyness get in the way :)  

1 comment:

  1. So, so sweet!! Brought tears to my eyes. A good reminder to me to relish every moment with my loved ones!! Love you, friend.

    ReplyDelete