Tuesday, September 27, 2011

adventures in bike riding

so i discovered this morning that in the mere three days that i have been riding the electric bike to work  i have become quite accustomed to it.  this morning started off like any other, i loaded my bag into my basket and took off for work.  i was even a little chilly since i was letting the electric portion do the work – so i stopped to add another layer of clothing.  i hopped back on the bike and twisted the handle to kick in the battery...... nothing happened.   surely i must have just hit the off button, so i tried it again.  still NOTHING. 
have i mentioned that the electric bike is quite a bit heavier than standard bikes?  i usually only pedal roughly 1/3 of the way to work since i figure i’m still getting a great work out with the added weight.  there i sat on my bike - in my big black helmet and double sweatshirts - realizing that i was going to have to PEDAL the ENTIRE way to work.  a little over 4 miles at this point.  ok - so i'm a little dramatic - but it's EARLY in the morning and i didn't want to have to work THAT hard. 
i made it, but have to admit it was TOUGH.  i caught myself continuing to twist the handle, hoping that the battery miraculously charged on the way.  no such luck.  i was a sad sight - walking my bike into my parking lot - since i couldn't bring myself to pedal up one more hill.
i’m tired.
my legs are rubber.
i’m thankful for driveways (any downhill is awesome).
strangely after 5 days of riding to work – i’m still completely out of shape  - what?
but i made it – and was even on time :).
wisdom for the day – always ALWAYS charge your bike battery the night before!

2 comments:

  1. Too funny! Give it time, you will be in shape before you know it. And when we start our bootcamp classes we will both be in amazing shape!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Bikes and bootcamp?? Good for you! Haven't asked you to bike El Dorado with me and Alice again because I figured you were all biked out, but let me know if you want to! Good luck tomorrow a.m.!

    ReplyDelete